Dr. Martin Luther King March Remembrance

This past Sunday evening, I had the occasion to join with faculty, staff and students in welcoming the 2013 incoming class at the Eagle Gathering ceremony in Ball Circle.  As I said then, the values of diversity and inclusion touch me personally and serve as the core values which define my administration.  These values are central to achieving the dream so beautifully given voice 50 years ago this week.  Reverend Martin Luther King’s dream of a more diverse and inclusive human condition is one that we work to achieve each and every day at the University of Mary Washington.

Recently, UMW students, faculty and staff lent their own voices to an oral interpretation of King’s immortal words.  A video montage of their readings will be seen across campus on monitors and by visiting https://vimeo.com/73235599.   Please join me in reflecting on the words spoken 50 years ago by Dr. King.  At 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 28, the bells of the Chappell Campanile will ring, joining in a worldwide symphony marking the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington.  I invite you to join individuals around the world who will celebrate this momentous occasion by taking a minute to remember the sacrifices made by those who fought then, and those who continue to fight for social justice.

Sincerely,

Richard V. Hurley

President