April 20, 2024

Ultimate Subaru Spotlight: Parrish Waters

Each month, a UMW Athletics Faculty Liaison will be featured in the Ultimate Subaru Spotlight. The faculty liaison program partners a UMW faculty member with every UMW intercollegiate athletic team to strengthen support networks and increase resources for student-athlete success. Ultimate Subaru is committed to the growth and education of UMW Eagles, their hometown team and strives to foster the same values of community as the UMW Faculty Liaison program.  Faculty Liaisons will serve as mentors and role models to student-athletes while being involved in team activities. For more information about the program contact Faculty Athletic Representative Lynne Richardson.

Parrish Waters

Parrish Waters gets accustomed to a field hockey stick

Faculty Liaison’s Name:  Parrish Waters

Sport:  Field Hockey

Years at UMW: 2

Position/Title: Assistant Professor of Biology

What was your favorite sport growing up? Briefly describe your favorite memory playing or watching it.

Soccer – I never really liked watching it growing up… playing soccer gave me the opportunity to do the one thing I was somewhat skilled at – simply running fast. 

Where is your favorite place around town to get a bite to eat? Foode – though I visit much less than desired, as I almost have to put my meals on layaway.

If you could pick one superpower to have, what would it be and why? Time Travel… with that power, all is possible. Right?

Other than the sport you partnered with, what is your next favorite sport and why?

The first field hockey game I ever watched was this year, during my tenure as faculty liaison. I learned quite a bit – as I say with a colleague who was herself an alum of UMW field hockey – so I cannot say the field hockey is or was my favorite.  That said, I enjoyed what I could catch in that game.  I would have to say the closest sport to field hockey I’ve ever watched was polo, which I think I understood even less.

If you were a Head Coach and could pick three words to motivate your team and hang in their locker room, which words would you choose? You Matter – Period

What does a great leader look like to you? A follower.

What is a must read for UMW Student-Athletes? On the Move by Oliver Sacks.

What is the best advice you have ever heard given to a college graduate? “In the real world, there are plenty of people who think very differently than you do, and they hold their opinions just as passionately. So if you want to change their minds, if you want to work with them to move this country forward, you can’t just shut them out. You have to persuade them, and you have to compromise with them. That is what so many of our heroes of history have done.” — Michelle Obama

Finally, if you were hanging out on Ball Circle picking the brains of four professional/famous athletes (living or deceased), who would they be? Mohammed Ali, OJ Simpson, Tiki Barber and Gerald Ford

Ultimate Subaru, celebrating 10 years of service to the Fredericksburg community, is proud to be a supporter of UMW athletics.  Call Ultimate Subaru today at (540) 898-6200 or come on in and visit us at 5160 Jefferson Davis Hwy, near Four Mile Fork. Find us online at www.driveultimatesubaru.com.

ultimate-subaru-logo2