March 19, 2024

Mary Washington Names New Chief Diversity Officer

Shavonne Shorter has been named University of Mary Washington’s new associate provost for equity and inclusion and chief diversity officer. Photo by Dr. Kai Kuang.

After a nationwide search, Shavonne Shorter has been named associate provost for equity and inclusion and chief diversity officer at University of Mary Washington. She will assume the role in January.

Shorter will serve on both the president’s and provost’s leadership teams, providing guidance as UMW continues striving to achieve its goals with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion. She will be responsible for developing a university-wide Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council, and continuing the work of building a more inclusive Mary Washington. She also will supervise the university’s Office of Disability Resources, Office of Title IX, SafeZone and all diversity education and training programs.

“I am most looking forward to partnering with the members of my new UMW family to continue and extend the rich legacy of diversity, equity and inclusion excellence both on and around campus. This is what immediately drew me to UMW,” Shorter said. “I look forward to the opportunity to conduct a campus-wide listening tour as I get to work for the good of the university.” Read more.

About Anna Billingsley

Anna B. Billingsley, associate vice president for university relations, has worked at UMW since 2004.