Faculty and staff are encouraged to continue the week of festivities to celebrate the inauguration of Dr. Paino as UMW’s 10th president on Friday, April 21.
Tonight, don’t miss the panel discussion by prominent scholars on the role of higher education in today’s politically charged era of misinformation. The discussion, “Higher Education in the Disinformation Age: Can America’s public liberal arts universities restore critical thinking and civility in public discourse?,” will be held at 7 p.m. in Dodd Auditorium.
Panelists include Sara Cobb, director for the Center for the Study of Narrative and Conflict Resolution at George Mason University; Julian Hayter, a historian at the University of Richmond’s Jepson School of Leadership Studies; and Audrey Watters, a freelance writer and author who focuses on education technology. Our own Steve Farnsworth will moderate the discussion.
A Moment of Silence at noon on Ball Circle. – Members of PRISM (People for the Rights of Individuals of Sexual Minorities) and allies will lead a moment of silence in recognition of the Day of Silence, which brings awareness to the silencing effects of anti-LGBTQ name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools.
- Capital Athletic Conference tournament in track and field competition- from 1 p.m. to dark, at the Battlefield Athletic Complex.
- Installation Ceremony for Dr. Paino in Dodd Auditorium at 4:15 p.m.- In his formal introduction as President of the University of Mary Washington, Dr. Paino will be joined by representatives of the faculty, staff, students, local community, and delegates from universities and honorary societies. The ceremony is open to the UMW community. Seating is first-come, first-served – please plan to arrive by 3:45 to be seated.
- View the Ceremony Online- The installation ceremony will also be live-streamed on the UMW website starting at 4:15 p.m. The link to the video live-stream will be posted on the http://umw.edu/inauguration
- Greet Dr. Paino - Join the UMW community to greet President Paino as he travels along campus walk to the University Center immediately following the conclusion of the installation ceremony (weather permitting).
- Community Celebration- Held in the University Center, the community celebration will immediately follow the ceremony and is open to the UMW community. With a focus on the university community, this celebration will feature free food, beverages, a photo booth, and great music, including the UMW Jazz Ensemble and a DJ.
Be sure to use #CelebrateUMW when posting about the inauguration on social media. For more information, including a full schedule of events, go to http://umw.edu/inauguration.