The Help Desk will be closed during Thanksgiving Break, so here is one important tip that could save you a lot of trouble if you forget your password: set up your security questions so you can reset your UMW password yourself!
This past summer, we added a new service called self-service password reset. By setting up your security questions, if you forget your UMW password you can reset it by answering the questions instead of contacting Help Desk staff. You only need to set up your security questions once, so if you previously set up your security questions, you don’t need to do it again. If your have not, are unsure, or want to change your questions, here are the steps:
SETTING UP OR CHANGING YOUR SECURITY QUESTIONS:
- Before you start, you need to know your current NetID and password. If you don’t know this, you must contact the Help Desk for assistance (540-654-2255 or visit us in ITCC Room 112).
- Go to password.umw.edu and click the “Manage Your Security Questions” link.
- In the login box that pops up, enter your current UMW NetID and Password.
- On the Password Registration page, click the “Next” button.
- Enter you current password and click “Next.”
- Answer at least five of the questions presented and click “Register.” (NOTE: it is always better to choose questions that many others don’t already know the answer to.) A confirmation screen will appear when registration is complete.
Once you have your security questions set up, you can then use them to reset your password when needed:
RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD USING YOUR SECURITY QUESTIONS:
- Go to password.umw.edu and click the “Forgot Your UMW Password?” link
- Answer all three of the questions presented to you and click “Next.”
- On the Password Reset page, enter a new password twice, then click “Next” to complete the process.
- NOTE: You must follow these password complexity rules for your new password:
- At least 8 characters including one upper case, one lower case, and one numeral
- You cannot use these symbols: @ % *
- The password cannot contain your NetID
- The password cannot contain part of your full name that exceeds two consecutive characters
- You cannot reuse any of your last 24 passwords
- NOTE: You must follow these password complexity rules for your new password:
If you need assistance with this process, contact the Help Desk during our regular business hours:
Call us: 540-654-2255
Stop by: IT Convergence Center – Room 112
The Help Desk will operate the following hours this week:
Monday and Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday – Sunday: CLOSED for Thanksgiving Break – (a long time to be without access if you don’t set up your security questions!)
Regular hours resume on Monday, Dec. 1 at 8 a.m.
I wish you a safe and enjoyable break,
IT Support Services
Congratulations to Sallie Washington Braxton, Associate Dean of Advising Services for the College of Business, who has been selected as the Excellent Eagle Employee for the month of December. A parking spot of her choosing has been reserved for her through the end of the month.
Here is what a coworker said about her:
Sallie came to the Fredericksburg campus (for the second time) in the fall of 2012 to serve as the professional advisor for ALL business students. She did an awesome job for two years and then, when Janet Cropp retired this summer and her position was frozen, we asked Sallie to take on advising the graduate students (and remaining BPS students) as well. Janet’s position was eliminated about two months ago and Sallie continues to advise ALL business students. Her workload is ridiculous, but as a team player, she has cheerfully and faithfully done a terrific job.
She is most deserving of being named an Excellent Eagle Employee.
To nominate someone who you believe is an Excellent Eagle Employee, send an email to Priscilla Sullivan (firstname.lastname@example.org) with Excellent Eagle Employee in the subject line. In your email, be sure to list the person’s name, department, job title, work location (with the most convenient parking lot), and of course, the reason why you believe they should be recognized. Please spread the word to other employees about this wonderful opportunity to recognize a co-worker(s).
You may now also go to the Staff Advisory Council’s site and click on the Excellent Eagle tab to make a nomination: http://sac.umwblogs.org/excellent-eagle/.
Willy Nilly Chili Cook-Off, Dec. 16:
The Staff Advisory Council announces the 2015 Willy Nilly Chili Cook-Off: A UMW FUN-raiser
Dress warmly, grab a hot chocolate, and most importantly, bring your favorite chili and sample your colleagues’ creations!
The S.A.C. will provide the judges and accessories (bowls, spoons, etc).
Dec. 16, 2014
Noon – 2 p.m.
Eagle’s Nest Deck
Sign up for the Chili Cook-off by logging into our SharePoint page:
Food and Clothing Drive Update:
The S.A.C.’s Food and Clothing Drives are underway! So far, we’ve had nine boxes/bags of food picked up by Feed Fred and donated four boxes of winter clothes to area shelters.
The dates for both drives are Nov. 3 – Nov. 21 and Dec. 1 – Dec. 18.
- Stafford Campus –South lobby
- COAR/SAE Offices
- Trinkle – Education Suite
- Lee Lobby -2nd floor, Student Services
- Lee 3rd and 4th floors, Admissions
- Academic Departments (BLS, Music, etc.)
- Facilities Lobby
- Foundation – Eagle Village
- Fairfax House – HR
- JAEC – lobby
- Mayre House, lobby
Welcome to the Newest S.A.C. Members:
- Service Awards: We appreciate all your help with making the service award presentations meaningful for your employees. Please remind those who are ordering gifts (15 years and above) that they have 90 days to place an order through the process outlined in the award brochure (http://adminfinance.umw.edu/hr/employee-relations/employee-recognition/service-awards/)
- Don’t forget about the Jeans Pass Program and the # 1 FAN Program as ways to reward your employees as well as colleagues in other departments! For more information on either of these reward programs you can visit the Employee Recognition section of our website at: http://adminfinance.umw.edu/hr/employee-relations/employee-recognition/.
- The Green WOW Card program is another way supervisors can reward classified and wage/hourly employees and The Yellow Wow Card program is for recognizing classified employees. The last day to redeem Green WOW Cards for 2014 will be Nov. 25, 2014. This will enable Payroll time to process the W-2 for 2014. Otherwise it may be cashed after Jan. 5, 2015. For more information on either of these reward programs please visit: http://adminfinance.umw.edu/hr/employee-relations/employee-recognition/umw-wow-card-program/
If you have questions on any of these programs please contact Jennifer Cooper at x1046 or email@example.com
Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities
For more information go to: http://adminfinance.umw.edu/hr/employee-relations/worklife/whats-new-2/
Meet our New Employee
Please join us in extending a warm UMW welcome to our newest employee
Patricia Williamson joined Student Health Center as a Staff Nurse on Nov. 17.
Free Flu Shots
Free flu shots are available again this year at pharmacies participating in your health plan’s network – COVA Care, COVA HDHP and COVA HealthAware. Additional 2014-2015 Flu Shot information is located at:http://adminfinance.umw.edu/hr/employee-relations/worklife/whats-new-2/
State Employee Discounts
A number of discounts are available through the Department of Human Resource Management: http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/employeediscounts.html.
Congratulations to Pam Lowery, Human Resources, who received the Volunteer for the Year Award from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Central & Virginia Chapter on Nov. 13, 2014. Once again, Pam will be in charge of the Walk MS Event to be held on April 25, 2015 at James Monroe High School.
Getting ready to do some holiday shopping? Get free shipping on orders placed on Black Friday through Cyber Monday! Go to www.umw.edu/bookstore to place your order.
As we continue preparing for summer 2015, we remind all UMW offices and individuals who have not already done so to make contact with our office regarding planned camps, conferences, workshops, meetings, etc. outside of regular summer school classes which will involve usage of any UMW facility during the dates of May 11 – Aug. 10, 2015.
Please email the Office of Conferences and Scheduling at firstname.lastname@example.org with information regarding your intended use to include date(s). We will begin working with you immediately to secure meeting space, multimedia services, lodging and any other needs you may have.
To ensure you are not disappointed, we have extended the deadline to notify this office to Nov. 25, 2014.
Redskins fans – this Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign (CVC) fundraiser is for you!
DMV is again pleased to announce the Department of Motor Vehicles Washington Redskins autographed souvenir license plate auction. This year, DMV is auctioning off four personalized souvenir license plates individually signed by Morgan Moses, Jordan Reed, Santana Moss and Brian Orakpo. Keep in mind that there is only one plate for each of the four players so give it your best bid!
Here’s how it works:
• Go to www.dmvNOW.com/CVC.
• Now through Dec. 5, 2014 at noon., submit your bid(s) on the plate(s) you’d like to have.
• Check back often, as you may get outbid. The highest bid is displayed on the screen.
• Whoever has the highest bid at noon on Dec. 5, 2014, wins the autographed license plate.
Proceeds from the auction will go to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Richmond which was selected by the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation.
Before placing your bid, there are a few more things you need to know:
• Auction is open to State Employees only.
• Auction winners will be notified by close of business on Dec. 5, 2014. Winners will then be instructed on how and where to send donations.
• Donations must be received at DMV headquarters no later than Dec. 10, 2014 at 4 p.m.
• Winners will be sent their autographed license plate once their donation is received.
• Souvenir license plates are not for use on vehicles. They are for display only.
Department of Motor Vehicles