UMW to Launch New Website and Reveal Student Video Contest Winners Tomorrow

During tomorrow’s pep rally at the Anderson Center, President Hurley will offer the first look at the new university website and will reveal the winners of the student video contest. The gathering, the first of its kind in university history, will start at 3 p.m. and is open to all faculty, staff and students.

The new website, the culmination of months of work, uses WordPress as a platform to allow individual departments and users to make updates to content. Building on the success of the large UMW Blogs WordPress community, students, faculty and staff now have familiar tools for public web content. The new www.umw.edu will go live tomorrow afternoon after the pep rally.

During the pep rally, President Hurley will announce the winners of a student video contest with the theme of great minds at UMW. The three winning videos, chosen from 14 entries, will be featured in tomorrow’s press release about the event and may appear in university marketing promotions in the future.

For more information about the web redesign project or the student video contest, contact the Office of University Relations at (540) 654-1055.

About Brynn Boyer

Brynn Boyer is assistant director of media and public relations and a 2010 graduate of UMW.

Comments

1. Noel Derecki says

I have been behind-the-scenes witness to the visual redesign of this site (striking) the information architecture overhaul (absolutely massive) of the UMW Web presence, and the shaping of both to inform and support the 21st century incarnation of the Mary Washington brand.

I must say that I am absolutely floored (in a good way) at what Cathy Derecki and the Web team have been able to pull off here.

I realize that I am a bit prejudiced, but I am nevertheless stunned and impressed. Well done! You’re all in for a treat. 🙂

-Noel

2. My name is Cathy Derecki, and I approve this comment. Thanks, honey!

3. Full disclosure: The “web team” comprises myself and Curtiss Grymala, WordPress Developer to the Stars and one man band.

4. Noel Derecki says

I think the pressing question on everybody’s mind is: Which one of you is in the bird suit?