A Gift of Music

Mary Wynn Richmond McDaniel

On January 26, a friend in the community made a significant gift to establish a new scholarship for students in the UMW Philharmonic. Beginning in the fall of 2013, the new Mary Wynn Richmond McDaniel Philharmonic Scholarship will be awarded to a talented student musician to support his/her performance in the orchestra.

Originally from southwestern Virginia and an alumna of Westhampton College (part of the University of Richmond), Mary Wynn McDaniel says she always has been interested in music. “I played in bands and orchestras all through high school and college, and my children and grandchildren have pursued music as well,” she says. “I cannot imagine a world without music.”

Mary Wynn and her husband, Charles G. McDaniel, have been longtime supporters of the UMW orchestra program, and both served individual terms as chair of the orchestra board. Although they are not connected to the University as alumni or parents, Mary Wynn says they enjoy many campus activities.

“I so enjoy living in a ‘college town.’ We attend many of the programs on campus including plays, Great Lives lectures, and — of course — performances by the Philharmonic,” she says. “I believe music is a universal language, and I am thrilled to be able to support our student musicians here in Fredericksburg.”

This gift announcement is from the Division of Advancement and University Relations.

About Brynn Boyer

Brynn Boyer is assistant director of media and public relations and a 2010 graduate of UMW.