Graduate Students Meet Richmond Squirrels Staff

(from left to right): Graduate assistants Mary Cait Nannery, Liz Bradley, Matt Shepard and Valerie Drogo pose with Zinger, the Richmond Flying Squirrels mascot

On Tuesday, July 30, a group of UMW graduate assistants (GAs) spent the day with the staff of the Richmond Flying Squirrels baseball team, a double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants.

“A visit to the Richmond Squirrels stadium was a unique experience for the graduate assistants,” said Liz Bradley, graduate assistant for student activities and engagement. “We had the opportunity to meet the people behind the scenes who make the Richmond Squirrels a successful franchise. We met nearly half of the professional staff, including representatives of the sales, finance, media and promotions departments.

Along with being a professional and educational trip, we also got to stay and enjoy the game!

The trip energized me and made me even more excited about my graduate studies and the possibilities waiting for me upon completing my Masters of Business Administration.”

GAs work in community service, student activities and engagement, residence life, campus recreation, or wellness while taking classes toward a UMW master’s degree. For more information about the GA program, visit http://students.umw.edu/recreation/umw-graduate-assistant-positions/.

About Brynn Boyer

Brynn Boyer is assistant director of media and public relations and a 2010 graduate of UMW.