March 28, 2024

Kristen Baroody: Memory Maker

When Kristen Baroody’s husband became Fredericksburg’s city manager three years ago, she and her family found themselves living in temporary housing in the caretaker’s cottage for the Mary Washington Memorial. Her youngest daughter took it upon herself to keep watch over the memorial and Meditation Rock.

Kristen Baroody, the new administrative assistant for the Jepson Alumni Executive Center, has been working tirelessly to make Reunion Weekend 2019 a success. Photo by Maria Schultz.

“It was a way to look after Mary Washington,” said Baroody, who realized then that she wanted to work for the university, when the time was right.

This spring, Baroody accepted the position of administrative assistant for the Jepson Alumni Executive Center. With it came a whirlwind of responsibilities in preparation for the fast-approaching Reunion Weekend 2019, May 31 through June 2.

“I’m a planner by nature and have lots of experience in events management,” said Baroody, who worked in Congressman Rob Wittman’s office helping constituents of Virginia’s 1st congressional district. Only one month on the job, she’s been busy designing and mailing postcards, ordering supplies, creating reports, paying invoices, making bank deposits, and managing event preparation and logistics.

Her most important role by far will be to look after the registration desk – “command central,” she calls it – ensuring 800-plus alumni, and their families and friends, enjoy their time back on campus and leave with even more meaningful Mary Washington memories.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about working at UMW?
A: I’m on a wonderful team and in a building full of great people. Plus, I get to walk to work sometimes, which is a treat!

Q: What’s been the most rewarding part of preparing for your first Reunion Weekend?
A: It’s fun to interact with the alumni, and I look forward to putting faces with names. It’s also been awesome to see our team in action.

Q: What’s the most challenging?
A: Worrying that I’ll forget a detail!

Q: Is there anything new or different about the 2019 Reunion Weekend?
A: We’ve added tours of Willard Hall and the Jepson Science Center so alumni can see the renovations. The alumni awards are now part of President Paino’s university update on Saturday. And in recent years, we’ve expanded the wine tasting to include local breweries, which has been popular with alums.

Q: What do you love best about living in Fredericksburg?
A: The community and university, downtown shops and restaurants, the walkability and the history. My family looks forward to the farmer’s market, the classic car show on Caroline Street, SlideFXBG and soon, Fredericksburg baseball!

Q: What do you like to do when you’re not working?
A: I spend as much time as I can with my husband and our three awesome children. You’ll often find us on the Canal Path with our beloved dog, Spot, a Lab-pointer mix and one of the sweetest animals I’ve ever known. I’m also hooked on British murder mystery dramas after the demise of Downton Abbey, and I’m a huge Marvel fan.

Q: What would people be surprised to learn about you?
A: I’m a roller coaster junkie and raised my children to be, too!

Q: How will you unwind this summer after Reunion Weekend?
A: College Heights pool time and a beach trip!