March 18, 2024

Announcement from President Paino: VP for Advancement and University Relations

Dear Colleagues,

As has been previously announced, Salvatore “Torre” Meringolo, UMW’s Vice President for Advancement and University Relations, has announced his retirement effective October 1, 2016.  Torre came to the University of Mary Washington in August of 2009 to lead the University’s fundraising, alumni affairs, communications, and external relations programs.  During his seven-plus years of service, he has led his team in achieving many significant milestones, including exceeding the overall $50 million goal in the recent “Mary Washington First” campaign.

I am writing to inform the UMW community that I am launching a national search for the next individual to fill this significant leadership role.  The Vice President for Advancement and University Relations is a key member of the president’s cabinet who is charged with overseeing critical functions that are essential to the University’s ongoing success.  These include raising private funds to support scholarships and strategic initiatives, fostering strong alumni engagement, and managing a complex network of internal and external communications.

As the search is conducted, we are fortunate to have capable, experienced professionals who can oversee these areas on an interim basis.  I am pleased to report that Kenneth Steen, Associate Vice President for Advancement and Alumni Relations, will manage all aspects of our fundraising and alumni relations operations.  Anna B. Billingsley, Associate Vice President for University Relations, will manage the communications areas, including publications, the web, design services, news and public information, and marketing.  Mr. Steen and Ms. Billingsley will assume these interim duties, effective October 1.  Until the search is concluded, they both will report directly to me and will regularly participate in meetings of the cabinet.

I want to thank Torre Meringolo for his distinguished service to the University of Mary Washington.  I also want to express my gratitude to Anna Billingsley and Ken Steen for their willingness to take on additional leadership responsibilities.

Best regards,

Troy

Troy D. Paino, J.D., Ph.D.

President