April 26, 2024

Theft Alert

The following message is from the UMW Police:

Dear Fredericksburg Campus Colleagues:

Yesterday afternoon (Thursday, April 26) around 4:09 p.m., a theft occurred in George Washington Hall involving the removal of a wallet from a first floor office.

The UMW employee left her office, closed the office door, and crossed the hallway to the restroom. As she crossed, she noticed an individual standing at the north side entrance door to the building. Once in the restroom, the employee heard the door to her office opening (It is very noisy when opened.) She quickly left the restroom to investigate and saw that the office door was closed. The employee did not see anyone in the hallway. Upon entering her office she checked her personal belongings and found that her wallet was missing from a bag under the desk.

University Police were called and the employee immediately cancelled her credit cards. The thief attempted to use a credit card but it was declined at the Rt. 3 Staples just prior to 4:24 p.m. and the Rt. 3 Shell gas station at 4:26 p.m. The suspect is described as: black male, 5’10” to 6’0,” medium build, dark complexion, wearing a red athletic jersey and dark pants.

With the increasing number of groups using our facilities, we have more foot traffic through all buildings. I would ask all Fredericksburg Campus faculty and staff to reflect upon your everyday habits to promote personal safety and reduce opportunity for crime.

Consider the following:

• Do I routinely lock my office?

• Are my keys safe and under my control at all times?

• Are valuables kept on my person or in a locked drawer?

• Do I stay aware of my surroundings?

• Do I lock my car, keeping any valuables out of sight?

• Do I notice and report individuals or circumstances that seem out of place?

[Call UMW POLICE x4444]

Although some crime is unavoidable, we can collectively seize opportunities to make our campus community safer by reflecting upon our daily routines and habits.

Small changes can go a long way.

Sincerely, Chief Eddie Perry UMW Police