April 23, 2024

NCAA Division III Week: David Heller

The following message is from the Faculty Athletic Representative:

Faculty and staff colleagues:  We continue to participate in the NCAA’s Division III week by celebrating UMW’s student-athletes.  As a reminder, DIII student-athletes receive no scholarship; they play for the love of the game!

Today, David Heller, a men’s soccer player and business major from Alexandria, Va., shares why he chose Mary Washington and why he plays DIII soccer:

Being a student or an athlete has never been the end game, only building blocks to the much larger picture of life. I chose to be a University of Mary Washington student-athlete because it seemed like the best way to grow and set myself up for life. As an athlete here I’ve gained skills that a classroom could never teach and not only experienced collegiate-level competition, but a collegiate team. As a student I am on track to graduate with a double major and a minor. From this, I plan to utilize the knowledge in a way that will more than pay for itself in post-graduation years. I have found that to effectively manage my current way of life it is critical to have the support of many. From teammates and coaches to advisors and professors, I have always felt like someone has my back, even alumni, to whom I can attribute both of my summer internships. I saw Mary Washington as a place that would provide the best possible foundation for me to find and build myself into who I am to become for the remainder of life; I chose UMW to be successful.

Thank you for supporting David and all of the student-athletes who represent UMW on the courts and fields of play!

Lynne Richardson

Faculty Athletic Representative

Dean, College of Business

University of Mary Washington