June 17 Event to Showcase Joe DiBella’s Students’ Work

Belle Arte and Juxtaposed Generations: A Pop-Up  Event of Student Work

From Joseph DiBella’s Topics in Painting, Summer 2016

UMW Distinguished Professor of Art Joe DiBella is retiring this year after almost 40 years at the University of Mary Washington. The work featured in this special pop-up is from his last class.

DiBella was the first Director of the University of Mary Washington Galleries (1983-88) and was instrumental in establishing the Ridderhof Martin Gallery. In addition, he was co-director of the University of Mary Washington summer program in Urbino, Italy (1994-2003). A signature member of the National Watercolor Society, he has shown his work in local, regional, national and international exhibitions. DiBella has taught courses in design, drawing, painting, color theory, watercolor and materials and techniques.

The special pop-up show will take place at Art Mart, 1405 Princess Anne Street, in downtown Fredericksburg on Friday, June 17, 2016, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. There will be a spin-off show at Frame Designs Gallery in the near future.

Tilt Susan Five Femmes

“Five Femmes,” by Susan Tilt, 2016. Oil on wood panel, 48″ x 48″.

Comments

1. Susan Tilt says

I have the honor of being a student of Professor Joe DiBella, a true master of art and art making. I graduated from Mary Washington eighteen years ago with honors in art and returned for one more class with Joe this summer. I’m a full time artist. Joe gave me permission to fly, to let creativity flow, to trust in myself, and work with the passion that is in my heart. Thank you, Joe DiBella. I use everything I learned from you and I, like you, will never retire.