Celebration of NCAA’s Division III Week

The following message is from the Faculty Athletic Representative:

UMW colleagues,

Thank you for celebrating NCAA’s Division III week with us! Athletics is an important component of life at the University of Mary Washington and we have been pleased to feature comments from student-athletes competing in various sports this week. UMW student-athletes play for the love of the game—they do not receive athletic scholarships.

To end the week, we feature TWO student-athletes.

Andrew Hogan is a senior swimmer from Lutherville, Md., majoring in biology. When asked why he chose to attend UMW and swim for a DIII school, he replied:

The reasons why I chose to come to Mary Washington were simple. The small class size and liberal arts curriculum yield a focused, well-rounded education. The athletic program is both understanding of academic commitment, and competitive on the national level. And, most importantly, the impact of UMW’s community is unforgettable. From the first time I stepped on campus I could feel the strong sense of honor and respect the student body had for one another. It’s what makes us the honorable students that we are. Whether it’s succeeding in the classroom, pushing through a hard practice, or coming together to make an impact on the community, UMW students come together every step of the way. I may forget a class or two, but I will never forget the lessons I learned from my fellow students. I am, and forever will be, an Eagle.

A senior geography major from Charlottesville, Katie Mastropaolo plays lacrosse:

I have always enjoyed competition and participation in team sports has played an important role in my life. I saw Mary Washington as a place where I could get a great education and continue my passion and love for team competition. Playing at the Division III level has taught me a lot about life. You get out only what you put in. Playing lacrosse on a college team is fun but requires dedication and commitment. I work hard to be ready to support my teammates and we all work together toward a common goal. Mary Washington is a unique place, a tight knit community. I often think about what a great fit UMW has been for me. I have been able to participate in many other extracurricular activities and have had a great experience here. I have had the honor of being a volunteer Young Life Leader at a local high school for the past 3 years. I have been a coach and counselor to young lacrosse players at our team camps. I hope to continue coaching and teaching what I have learned at UMW after I graduate.

Please thank Andrew, Katie and all of the student-athletes who are here first and foremost to receive a quality liberal arts-focused education but who also compete for UMW in their chosen sports.

As Ken Tyler, Director of Athletics, says…. IT’S A GREAT DAY TO BE AN EAGLE! And it is!

Thank you for your support of UMW Athletics.

Lynne Richardson

Faculty Athletic Representative

Dean, College of Business

University of Mary Washington